History of INUYAMA
INUYAMA’s long history started before the JOMON era (10000 B.C. – 4 cent.) because of its fertile soil made at the center of KISO river delta, and in wartime this key junction of economy and military action was often the primary target for the both sides.
In the MEIJI era (1868 – 1912) light industries like filature flourished in INUYAMA and military factories were not built. This kept air away from the city in the time of W.W. II helping us to maintain many historical assets in their original shape.
In the TAISHO era (1912-1926), the KISO River was named “Japan Rhine” since it reminded people of the beautiful scenery of Rhine River in Germany. Cormorant fishing and boat tours on the KISO river were restarted in these days to stimulate the sightseeing business.
After W.W. II, in the SHOWA era (1926-1989) some cultural facilities and theme parks, including two open air museums – MEIJI MURA and “LITTLE WORLD“- and a theme park zoo MONKEY PARK were opened and still many people are coming to enjoy these spots.